Data on Adoption
Latest ASGLB data
The ASGLB data return is completed by every local authority, voluntary adoption agency, and regional adoption agency in England on a quarterly basis. The latest publicly available data covers the period up to 31 March 2017. This data covers all local authorities and VAAs in England.
Key headlines are:
- The number of children waiting at the end of March 2017 was 2,470. This is a 7% increase from 31 December 2016 when there were 2,320 children waiting with a placement order not yet placed with an adoptive family.
- There were 4,310 new placement orders granted in 2016-17.
- The number of families approved for adoption has decreased by 17% from 3,610 in 2015-16 to 2,980 in 2016-17.
- The number of approved adopters waiting for a match to a child has continued to fall, though there are still more adopters waiting than children.
- Overall, current trends in adopter recruitment and placement orders suggest that there are currently more children being put forward for adoption than adopters being approved.